Mission Aligned Policing Philosophy
DIVISION OF POLICE MISSION STATEMENT
To effect lasting organizational change and achieve greater agency effectiveness, the Division of Police has established a mission statement that encompasses the basic tenets of effective policing. This mission statement identifies the agency’s priorities and serves as a standard for gauging the effectiveness of strategies and tactics. This mission statement serves as the foundation of the Mission Aligned Policing Philosophy (MAPP).
- Establish and maintain partnerships with community leaders and groups.
- Reduce crime through intelligence-based, directed tactics.
- Investigate, through the use of zone assigned investigators, neighborhood specific crime (misdemeanors) and solve these crimes through victim follow-up, witness contact, analysis and forensics.
- Target, apprehend and prosecute career criminals who live a life of crime within the community.
- Gather, analyze, and distribute information regarding crime trends and groups that are affecting safety and quality of life in Columbus neighborhoods.
- Coordinate efforts within the Division of Police and with other government agencies to adequately respond to crime, safety and quality of life issues.
COMPONENTS OF M.A.P.P. CONCEPT
In alignment with the Division's mission and the enhanced focus on community oriented policing brought about by the C.O.P.’s grant and the actions of City Council, the Columbus Police Division has identified three components for implementing the Mission Aligned Policing Strategy:
- Redistricting the Patrol Subdivision with consideration to traditional neighborhoods and organized community groups.
- Education and development of all Patrol personnel to instill the Mission Aligned Policing Philosophy and cause officers and supervisors to acquire attitudes and skills that permit the philosophy to be implemented and fulfilled.
- Development of a Strategic Response Bureau to carry out the MAPP goal of providing police responses specific to community needs and concerns.