Public Records Unit
- The Public Records Unit is comprised of one police sergeant three police officers, one civilian office assistant I and one civilian police property clerk.
- The Public Records Unit is part of the Professional Standards (PSB), within the Administrative Subdivision.
- The Public Records Unit offices are located in the Columbus Police Headquarters, and can be contacted at (614) 645-4925.
- The hours of operation are 8am-4pm Monday through Friday, closed on holidays.
The mission of the Public Records Unit is to provide access to all public records retained by the Division of Police in accordance with law and Division policies and procedures. Records within the control of the Public Records Unit will be maintained in accordance with the approved record retention schedule.
The Public Records Unit is responsible for:
- Responding to and processing requests for “Public Records”.
- Monitoring and maintaining accurate documentation and files for Public Record requests.
- Responding to inquires from other areas of the Division of Police.
- Maintaining communication and cooperation with other areas of the Division of Police to ensure the attainment of the organizational goals.
- Staying abreast of changes in law regarding Public Records and Records Retention.
- Recognizing potential problems for the Division of Police regarding public records and records retention and developing plans to correct them.