Focus on Safety Violations
The registered owner of a vehicle photographed running a red light or speeding in a school zones or places where children gather, will receive by U.S. mail a citation for $95.00, although depending on the severity of the speed, fines can be as high as $146.00. Citations will include digital images imprinted with the date, time, location, lane of travel and speed. Only a properly trained Columbus Division of Police Officer can authorize a citation.
When a citation is received, the City of Columbus encourages violators to view the infraction via the Internet at www.photonotice.com. The citation number, license plate number and City code: COLMBS must be entered, along with the other data as explained on the instruction sheet received with the violation. After review, violators have 30 days to respond with one of the three options:
- Pay the fine
- Instructions for payment are included on the citation coupon. Citations may be paid:
- Online at www.photonotice.com
- Paid by mail: Focus On Safety Payment Center, PO Box 76731, Cleveland, Ohio 44101-6500. For questions call toll free at 1-877-847-2338. Payment can only be made by, Check, Money Order or Credit Card. NO CASH WILL BE ACCEPTED Payment must be post marked by the the due date.
- A kiosk is available on the first floor of Police Headquarters to pay by credit card, 120 Marconi Blvd, Columbus, Ohio 43215. The kiosk is available 24/7.
- Nominate another driver
- If the registered owner (Individual or business) of the vehicle cited was not the driver at the time of the violation, the citation coupon can be used to nominate another person including their address. When nominating another driver, please keep in mind, the form must be filled out completely. It is required to have the Name, Address and Zip of the nominated driver. Further this MUST be notarized and sent to Columbus Police by the deadline or the nomination will NOT be accepted. If the criteria for nomination is met a citation will be mailed to that nominated individual.
- It is important to remember the registered owner of the vehicle is still responsible for the civil action if the person nominated fails to pay the fine within the allotted time.
- Request a hearing
- If a hearing is requested, fill out the appropriate portion of the citation coupon and send it to: Columbus Division of PoliceFocus on Safety Program
120 Marconi Blvd.
Columbus, Ohio 43215
- Hearings are held on Sunday and Monday - and are set by appointment between the hours of 11am and 7pm the office is not open to the public at this time.
- Only the person on the citation may request a hearing. The appointment must be set before the deadline date.
- Payment MUST be made at the START of the hearing. Payments can be made by check, money order or credit card. If found not responsible at the hearing the payment will be refunded. Officers CANNOT accept cash.
If you receive a citation:
- This is a CIVIL VIOLATION meaning that the Bureau of Motor Vehicles will NOT be contacted and no points will be assessed to a driving record.
- Insurance companies will NOT be contacted.